Shortly after we returned home we got the call that Granny was in the hospital. This was not unusual. She had congestive heart failure, but always seemed to bounce back. Next we got the call that she had slipped into a coma-like state and before we knew it she had passed away, three days short of her 82nd birthday. There are no words that can convey how much I will miss her. I will miss her smile, her giggle, the sound of her clearing her throat, the sound of her voice, her orneriness. But I will feel forever blessed for having the relationship I had with her and for having her in my life. I take comfort in that she had a strong faith. She is the one who instilled faith in me. As Lily says, she is now in heaven getting her new body. She always used to give me guardian angels (pins, dolls, etc.) and now I know I have one I can put a face to. I love you bunches Granny and I miss you terribly.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
My Granny
There is only one woman in the world who has influenced me in the same way as my mother, and that would be my Granny. Fitting then, that she is my mom's mom. Most childhood memories I recall have her in them in some way. During the winters she and my Grandpa chose to winter in snowy Montana and I would go to their house after school. When I was upset with my parents I would run away to their house. We vacationed with them. As an adult I would spend some of my 3 day weekends from college at their house. It was always fun to be at Granny's house. Grandpa passed away 6 years ago right after Maggie was born. I have always tried to get to see Granny at least once a year. This year was no different. For spring break we all piled in the Suburban and headed to Montana. We spent a nice week sitting with Granny. I watched her as she watched her great granddaughters entertain everyone in the assisted living center.
Shortly after we returned home we got the call that Granny was in the hospital. This was not unusual. She had congestive heart failure, but always seemed to bounce back. Next we got the call that she had slipped into a coma-like state and before we knew it she had passed away, three days short of her 82nd birthday. There are no words that can convey how much I will miss her. I will miss her smile, her giggle, the sound of her clearing her throat, the sound of her voice, her orneriness. But I will feel forever blessed for having the relationship I had with her and for having her in my life. I take comfort in that she had a strong faith. She is the one who instilled faith in me. As Lily says, she is now in heaven getting her new body. She always used to give me guardian angels (pins, dolls, etc.) and now I know I have one I can put a face to. I love you bunches Granny and I miss you terribly.
Shortly after we returned home we got the call that Granny was in the hospital. This was not unusual. She had congestive heart failure, but always seemed to bounce back. Next we got the call that she had slipped into a coma-like state and before we knew it she had passed away, three days short of her 82nd birthday. There are no words that can convey how much I will miss her. I will miss her smile, her giggle, the sound of her clearing her throat, the sound of her voice, her orneriness. But I will feel forever blessed for having the relationship I had with her and for having her in my life. I take comfort in that she had a strong faith. She is the one who instilled faith in me. As Lily says, she is now in heaven getting her new body. She always used to give me guardian angels (pins, dolls, etc.) and now I know I have one I can put a face to. I love you bunches Granny and I miss you terribly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Aww, Shannon. You made Auntie Julie cry this morning.
We all have lovely grandparents but I think you and I had some super-special ones. My Grandpa Steffen - always known as Pop - died 6 years ago. Not one single day EVER goes by when someone in this house doesn't mention Pop. One of us will talk about Pop liked this, did that, made this, said that...
Last night at dinner my kids were telling Lauren and Emily how FAST Pop would try to get away with praying (all for my kids' amusement, that naughty Pop!. One of my boys told them, "We call it 'Pop Style'" Mommy calls it START OVER.
My heart will ache until the day I die over our loss of Pop. I am, however, eternally grateful that my children were able to spend a lot of time getting to know him. I even let him write on their skin with ink pens! Only Pop could get away with that! Even Lucas, who was quite little, has fond memories of Pop.
and I just thought of this: Louie and Lily. same beginning letters...2 syllables...our second children are both named after them...
Love, AJD
Granny's first name was Harriet. Her middle name was Rozannie. Hence the Rose in Lily Rose. Granny's mother's name was Lillian as was a close family friend.
I just don't think I believe that! I can't admit I made all that up in my mind!
....LOL....of course I knew about the name Harriet because I told you Paul and I had a Harriet at Roth's who was a meat wrapper like your Granny.
I refuse to admit I made up the Lily/Louie connection.
LOL
Me too ... you made me cry. I'm so glad you were able to have such an amazing connection with her. I think about losing two of my grandparents when I was 8 and 9 years old. To this day, I can hardly think about how sad I was (am) to not know them for longer. I just think it's so awesome that they were there in the winter for you to "hang" with after school. How special.
To me, Granny will forever be the lady with the yellow table cloths for your wedding! And then, after the colors were obviously something else, she marvelously decorated the cookie table for hours before the wedding. Hours and hours!!!
I am so glad to get to read your memories of Granny...For more than a week, my heart has ached for you...and for your girls...and for your mom. Today, I give thanks to God for having Granny make your mom who made you who brought such joy to my life. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs! Sarah
Miss Shannon,
Thank you for sharing your Granny with us all. I too, shed big crocodile tears for your loss. I love the memories that you shared with us. The woman in my life that has impacted me the way your Granny has for you is Grandma Mary. And I didn't get her until I was 20! :) These women leave their handprints on our hearts in ways undescribable.
Granny, thank you for Oma Linda, Miss Shannon, and my three little neices...rest in God's peace.
All my Love, Aunt Christie
Post a Comment